These observation questions are designed to be followed with application questions to provide a self-directed or group study of the book of 1st Thessalonians. Find all 1 Thessalonians resources here. Enjoy!
1 Thessalonians 5:11-28 – Observation / Interpretation Questions
Read 1 Thessalonians Chapter 5 thoroughly and answer the questions below. Consider reading the chapter multiple times before answering.
- For the remainder of Paul’s letter to the Thessalonians he gives them a series of short instructions addressing a variety of subjects. Looking at verses 12-13, Paul is concerned about the Thessalonians attitude towards whom?
- In what three ways is the ministry of these men described in verse 12?
- In your own words describe the attitude the Thessalonians were to have towards their leaders in the church (verse 12-13).
- Use a dictionary or similar resource to define the word admonish as found in verse 12.
- What do you think the connection is between the instruction to “be at peace among yourselves” and what was said previously about their attitude towards their leaders?
- In verse 14 Paul gives instructions to the brothers in general regarding their ministry to one another. He is concerned that they interact properly with what three types of people in the church?
- What did the idle require from their brothers? (v14)
- What did the fainthearted require from their brothers? (v14)
- What did the weak require from their brothers? (v14)
- What characteristic was necessary in dealing with all of them?
- What is forbidden in verse 15? In regards to what two people groups?
- In verses 16-18, Paul instructs the Thessalonians in what they should always be doing, without ceasing, and in all circumstances. What are the things which should continually characterize the Christian?
- What do we learn about the Spirit in verse 19? Since this is true, how are Paul’s readers cautioned?
- According to verses 20-21, what was the proper attitude towards prophecies in the church? What was the church’s responsibility concerning prophecies?
- State verse 22 in your own words.
- What was Paul’s prayer for the Thessalonians in verse 23?
- According to verse 23, what is the desired end of sanctification in this life?
- Who is ultimately responsible for us being kept blameless until the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ?
- What does the fact that the Apostle Paul asked the Christians in Thessalonica to pray for him tell us about his view of prayer?
- What does verse 27 tell us about how the Apostolic writings were to be handled by the church?