These observation questions are designed to be followed with application questions to provide a self-directed or group study of the book of 2nd Thessalonians. Find all 2nd Thessalonians resources here. Enjoy!
2 Thessalonians 3 – Observation / Interpretation Questions
Read 2 Thessalonians Chapter 3 thoroughly and answer the questions below. Consider reading the chapter multiple times before answering.
- What, if anything, do you think is significant about Paul asking the believers in Thessalonica to pray for him? (1)
- Specifically, what does Paul ask the Thessalonians to pray for? (1-2)
- Looking at verse 3, what two things did Paul state the Lord would be faithful to do for the Thessalonians?
- What was Paul confident about concerning this church? (4)
- Considering both God’s responsibility as stated in verse 3, and the Thessalonians responsibility in verse 4, what can we conclude about how our sanctification works?
- If the Thessalonians were to remain faithful in the midst of affliction and remain obedient to the Apostolic teaching, where would they have to direct their focus (5)?
- Take note of the verses which feature the word command or related words. What can you conclude about the things dealt with in this passage?
- What is the command in verse 6?
- Verses 6-15 deal with warnings against poor character and behaviour of individuals in the Thessalonian church. What was the issue at hand?
- In verse 6, Paul speaks of the “tradition” that the Thessalonians received from the Apostle and his companions. What tradition was this? (7-9)
- Describe how Paul balanced both ministering to others and supporting himself.
- If Paul had the right to be supported by those he ministered to, why didn’t he take advantage of that right?
- What was the principle which Paul commanded and exemplified? (10)
- It is possible that the Thessalonian’s misunderstandings regarding the timing of the Day of the Lord led some of them to forgo working. According to verse 11, what did their idleness lead to?
- Considering Paul’s commands to this church, what can we conclude about a Biblical work ethic?
- According to verses 14-15, how should the Thessalonians respond to a someone in their church who does not obey this letter? For what purpose?
- How did Paul authenticate his letters?