These observation questions are designed to be followed with application questions to provide a self-directed or group study of the book of Thessalonians. Find all 1 Thessalonians resources here. Enjoy!
Read 1 Thessalonians Chapter 1 thoroughly and answer the questions below. Consider reading the chapter multiple times.
- According to verses 2-3, what three things did Paul remember about the Thessalonians which lead him to thank God and pray for them?
- According to verse 4, what two things was Paul confident about regarding the Thessalonians?
- According to verses 5-10, Paul’s confidence regarding the genuineness of the Thessalonian’s election was based upon how effective the preaching of the gospel was among them. Answer the following questions to indicate in what ways the preaching of the gospel was effective.
According to verse 5, what is evidence that the Thessalonians were indeed loved and chosen by God?
- According to verse 6, what is evidence that the Thessalonians were indeed loved and chosen by God?
- What does it mean that the Thessalonians became imitators? Of whom? In what way?
- According to verse 7, because the Thessalonians became like the Apostles and Christ in the way they suffered for the word with joy, what also happened?
- According to verse 8, what two things sounded forth from the Thessalonian church into the surrounding area?
- Paul indicates that the testimony of the Thessalonians was clear and effective. How does he indicate this in verse 8?
- Word of the dramatic transformation of the Thessalonians, in response to the ministry of Paul and his companions in Thessalonica spread far and wide. So much so that word of their transformation made its way from the surrounding area back to Paul’s ears. According to verse 9, what was the testimony of these formerly pagan people?
- According to verse 10, in addition to turning from their idols to serve the living God, what else changed about the Thessalonians?
- According to verse 10, what four things did the Thessalonians believe about Jesus?